18A – Create a Customer Avatar

My product can be sold to both businesses and individuals, however, its more likely that only businesses will purchase this. Therefore, I have described a business entity as my avatar. 

The year is 2017 and the board of directors for Florida State University (FSU) has been under heavy heat from parents, the media, and donors due to increased hazing incidents on their campus. This university lacks diversity and campus life is controlled by Greek life. Their Greek life has been highlighted due to increased injuries and ‘accidents’ that occurred because of binge-drinking and hazing incidents. Furthermore, the university has strict rules against hazing and especially with alcohol. However, it happens either way. Their campus is filled with some infographics in black, gold, white, and garnet detailing the hazards of binge-drinking. This university already struggles to maintain a high reputation and these incidents have only added more heat to the fire. They need to fix their reputation and they will do this by being stricter with greek life. They need to show parents that their kids will be safe in their campus and that the campus culture is safe. 

What do I have in common with the customer?
  • Its hard to find things in common with my customer since my customer is a business. However, I guess I could relate my campus to the FSU campus in one way because that indirectly is me. The UF campus and culture has some similarities with FSU like the tailgate culture, greek life culture, and population size.

Coincidence? 
  • I don’t think its a coincidence that the UF campus and culture resembles the FSU one, because since they are both located in relatively small cities, the university is the heart of each city. College-towns around the nation tend to have similar issues just due to the fact that the area where the university is located promotes those activities indirectly.   

Image result for fsu campus

Comments

  1. Hey Nathalie!
    I thought it was really interesting that you focused on a specific entity rather than a single ideal customer. FSU is a large, diverse entity, but I thought you did a good job of describing it in full and addressing where their need is. While we might be rival schools, you did a wonderful job of comparing the similarities between both universities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie!
    I agree with Steven that I was intrigued that you chose FSU as a whole rather than creating a fictional single avatar. I am glad that you addressed this matter though because both universities have been under fire for their lack of proactive change to prevent hazing. As apart of Greek Life here at UF I think I provide a bit of a different perspective because I am not on the outside looking in but judging my surroundings. Regardless if you're in greek life or not, hazing and peer pressure to binge drink just is not right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment