27A – Reading Reflection No. 3


I chose to read a book from the second half of the reading list. Specifically, the book: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams.


  1. The overall theme of this book was to live your life like a system. By doing this, you will find more success no matter how many times you fail. Adams uses his unfortunately funny life to give examples of how failure won’t stop you from eventually becoming successful. 
  2. This book helped me get more comfortable with the idea of failure. I feel that this class has already helped me understand that failure is part of the process to success. However this book reinforced that idea. Adams emphasizes for readers to get used to being uncomfortable and that people should take risks to become a better version of themselves.
  3. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on what I learned from this book, it would be to have an assignment where you would list 10 mediocre skills that you have and why each can still benefit you. Adams states that a combination of mediocre skills can make you a valuable asset. Therefore, an assignment that makes us reflect of our mediocre skills and details how that so-so skill is beneficial can help students realize where they need improvement and also how hope is not lost for not being perfect in every skill. 
  4. While reading this book, I was surprised to read his statement about mediocre skills making someone valuable. This book told me the opposite of what I usually was told. All my life my mom always told me that being mediocre won’t help me get into college or get a job, etc etc. So reading this book made me see things in a whole new perspective.

Comments

  1. Hey Nathalie,
    This sounds like a very interesting book! Its fitting that you read this right after our Celebrating Failure assignment. I feel like accepting failure is something we all struggle with but Adams system approach seemed to have work for him. I noticed your book also centered around taking risks. I read about Elon Musk and he certainly is a risk taker, and against all odds has become very successful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment